Choose alternative brands and colors for your next project + Prepare for the change of the seasons!
Homeowners have been pouring more effort and love into their homes since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. There are housing shortages, home values are much higher than they were around this time in 2019, and we all know that the demand on building materials is historically high. The value of your work should increase in value in turn! Though our manufacturer partners work their hardest they are still struggling to keep up with demand, even now as we head into Autumn.
Alternative brands and colors for proposals are becoming more frequent, and homeowners are growing more accepting of these proposed alternatives. Even if certain alternatives are more costly than they had originally anticipated, contractors are finding that by educating their customer on the industry, alternative options, and demonstrating their expertise, they’re able to land the project. Upgrading projects to premium shingles or fiber cement siding gains homeowner confidence, especially when their timeline and project goals yield more desirable outcomes.
Consider this example:
Your homeowner originally expected an asphalt designer shingle in a blue shade and a completion date ahead of winter. However, the preferred brand is on allocation until well-past the completion date. A less popular, high quality brand has supply readily available in an SBS version of a similar shingle, in another dark shade that will look even more fantastic on the home. Do you simply tell the homeowner the project won’t be completed until spring of next year, or do you offer this alternative that would have them a new roof before this winter in a premium SBS shingle with all of its advantages? If you demonstrate the advantages of the upgrade, they may heavily reconsider postponing the project, meaning you can get it done and move onto your next project!
Another reliable tactic you can try to prove your expertise and increase your profitability is to offer energy efficient Autumn upgrades. Check out our insulation and weather proofing options to your Autumn Upgraded proposals! Check out Dow GREAT STUFF options and blown-in insulation solutions that will impress your customers and increase your profits!
- Atlas shingles are on allocation and have limited color availability for Pinnacle
- CertainTeed shingles are all on allocation, Landmark, Landmark Pro, and NorthGate all have limited colors, and CertainTeed is not running XT25
- IKO is on allocation with very limited service to Metro Detroit area
- GAF HDZ has long lead times for 5 colors: Barkwood/Hickory/Pewter/
- Owens Corning products on allocation, Wimsatt primarily stocking Duration
- TAMKO has extended lead times in limited color and product line offerings
- Oatey has extended lead times due to
metal shortage – IPS covers Oatey availability disruptions
- Famco has extended lead times on
metal and plastic
- Coil Nails have extremely extended lead times and major supply chain issues globally
- Versico ISO – New project shipments expected April 2022, and fasteners are scarce due to global disruption, expected to become more available as supply chain recovers
- Hunter ISO – New project shipments expected April 2022
- IKO – Innovi product line is scheduled to begin producing ISO end of August, though membrane is being held until all system components are available
- Royal Building Products dark colors are on allocation
- Mastic product lines are all on allocation
- CertainTeed siding orders not accepted until October
- Fypon has extended lead time due to warehouse relocation
WINDOWS AND DOORS
- Andersen, Paradigm, PlyGem, and SilverLine all have extended lead times
- Lumber and Sheathing prices have reversed from all-time highs to levels seen in 2020
- Trex Transcends Fire Pit and Tree House not available, all others have extended lead times
About Veronica Kerr
Veronica Kerr is the Marketing Specialist at Wimsatt Building Materials.